There are several types of faucets available in the market. Today, we want to talk about the compression-type. It’s the kind that makes use of a stem to control the flow of water. The stem, meanwhile, is operated through the use of the faucet handle. Now you’ll find washers and O-rings inside the faucet stem. These parts, because of the constant friction, wear out as time pass by. And when they do, leaks happen. Here’s how you can fix this plumbing problem!
1. First of all, turn the water supply valve off. This is important to avoid flooding your bathroom or work area. If your faucet doesn’t have its own supply valve, you should turn off the main valve then.
2. Once done, look for the decorative cap that’s usually found at the center of the faucet handle. Get a screwdriver and pry that cap off.
3. Afterward, remove the faucet handle’s screw. Pull the handle straight up or use a puller to detach it from the assembly.
4. When you have removed the faucet handle, you’ll uncover the faucet stem. Get a pair of slip-joint pliers and unscrew the faucet stem assembly from the faucet body.
5. Check the faucet’s valve seat by inserting your finger into the hole in the stem. If you feel that the metal is rough, it may need resurfacing. If it’s badly damaged, it will be best to replace it entirely.
6. Then, detach the bras stem screw. The washer that’s damaged should also come off. However, don’t throw it away. You have to bring it to a plumbing supply shop to get the exact same type of washer.
7. When you’re done, check the retaining nut. Screw or detach the threaded spindle from it.
8. Afterward, replace the worn out O-ring. Make sure that the replacement is the exact type. Install the brand new washer that you bought from the plumbing supply shop. Coat the faucet parts with grease and then proceed with the assembly. Make sure that they’re placed in the correct position and order.
9. Now to check if the repair worked, turn the water supply valve on. Run the faucet and check for leaks again. Hopefully, you’ve fixed the leak!
We hope that you enjoyed reading our blog on how to repair a leaking faucet. If you need help with your faucet, just call the best plumbing company in Biscayne Park FL. Douglas Orr Plumbing provides reliable local plumbing services in Biscayne Park FLincluding plumbing fixture repair in Biscayne Park FL, leak detection services in Biscayne Park FL, toilet repair in Biscayne Park FL, hot water heater repair in Biscayne Park FL and many more! Call us at (305) 240-6731to schedule a service!
Did you know that plumbers are funny, too? Watch this video! It will surely crack you up a little!