At one point, you’ll discover that your faucet is leaking. This is not surprisingly at all, regardless of the faucet type that you have, because its parts also deteriorate or wear out over time. In most cases, replacing a faucet part is enough to solve the problem. But if the tap itself has already gone bad, replacement turns out as the best option. Since we have already blogged on how to repair cartridge-type faucets, let us share a DIY repair guide for ball-type taps.
1. The first thing that you have to do is simply to buy a repair kit or a replacement faucet. A faucet repair kit is commonly available for less than 20 dollars from plumbing supply shops or home repair stores.
2. When you’re ready to start the project, turn the water supply valve first. You’ll find it under your bathroom or kitchen sink, connected to the pipes. Turn it clockwise to stop water from getting into the pipe and flowing out of your tap.
3. To ensure that faucet parts won’t accidentally get into the drainpipe, plug your drain with an old cloth or use its pop-up stopper.
4. Proceed by unscrewing your faucet handle. Remove the decorative cap and loosen the screws using your screwdriver. Lift the handle and remove the faucet’s collar with the use of your pliers. Remove the cam, ball, and washers, too.
5. Get your needle-nose pliers and reach into the faucet springs and inlet seals. Detach them as well.
6. In most cases, the worn out O-rings cause the leakage. Get your new O-rings and grease them before installation.
7. Your faucet repair kit should also come with new valve seats, springs, and cam washers. Put them in place as well.
8. Reassemble your faucet handle and make sure that the connection is tight.
9. Turn the water supply valve on by turning it counterclockwise this time then test for leaks.
We hope that our DIY guide for today answered your question on how do I fix a leaky faucet.If the problem persists, hire a localFort Lauderdale plumber to help you. Douglas Orr Plumbing delivers first-rate plumbing services in Fort Lauderdale including bathroom fixture remodeling, plumbing repairs,
bathroom remodeling, kitchen remodeling, outdoor kitchen remodeling and many more! Call us at (305) 240-6731to schedule a service!
Maintenance and care are needed to keep your faucets in good condition. Watch this video to learn how to clean them properly!