The porcelain sink is among the homeowners’ most favorite types of washbasin because of its classic appeal and clean look. Its smooth surface is hassle-free to clean and maintain. However, we all know that porcelain is susceptible to breaking, scratching and chipping off over time. When you accidentally let go of your glass of water and it falls on the sink, you’ll most probably get it chipped off. Now you don’t have to worry because you won’t lose your bathroom’s beauty. Just use enamel paint and it should look as good as new! Here’s a DIY guide for you!
What You’ll Need:
* soapy water
* wet-dry sandpaper
* denatured alcohol
* epoxy kit
1. Get a sponge and soapy water. Clean the affected area with these two and then dry it with a clean cloth or rag.
2. Get a wet-dry sandpaper and fold it into a triangular shape, ensuring that it has a tip or a point. Put your finger over that point or tip and then sand the area. Remove rust and stain by scratching the surface well. This will allow the epoxy to adhere effectively. Once done, wipe all the dust and dirt away with the use of a tack cloth.
3. Pour a little denatured alcohol into the tip of a cloth in order to dampen it. Using this wet area in your rag, clean the sanded surface of your porcelain sink. Leave it alone to dry.
4. Read the instructions that came with your epoxy kit and create the mixture. In most cases, an epoxy kit includes a hardener and also a resin.
5. Once the mixture is made, apply a coat of filler on the chipped off area. Use a small paintbrush or the wooden part of a matchstick to do this. Apply liberally depending on the depth of the scratch or the damage. However, make sure that you’ll wait a few minutes after every coat just to let the epoxy dry out first. Check the instructions again to find out how much time is needed to dry the substance.
6. When you’re done applying the epoxy filler and it’s already dry, get your sandpaper again and gently scratch the surface. Again, this will make the paint adhere to the sink effectively. Only apply a thin coating of porcelain enamel paint. Ensure that it’s in the exact same color of your washbasin. To complete this task, you may use a small paintbrush.
7. Just like what you did with the epoxy filler, you have to wait for the layer to dry out before applying another coat of paint. Continue this step until the repaired area’s color already matches the rest of the sink surface.
We hope that you found this porcelain sink repair guide pretty easy to follow! If you need professional plumbing assistance at home, just find local Miami Gardens plumbers in Dade County FL! Douglas Orr Plumbing delivers excellent plumbing services in Miami Gardens including bathroom remodeling, kitchen remodeling, bathroom fixture remodeling, outdoor shower and kitchen remodeling and many more! Call us at (305) 240-6731!
Want to learn how to whiten a porcelain sink the natural way? Watch this video now!