Are You Hurricane Ready?
Get Hurricane Ready with Douglas Orr Plumbing!
As the famous saying goes, “It is better to be safe than sorry” – this is a fact, most especially when it comes to the safety and well being of our family and loved ones. It is once again Hurricane season in Miami, which will last until the month of November. We are very lucky not to have encountered a major hurricane in over four years, but that does not mean we shouldn’t be ready. In any case, we must always be prepared!
It is best to have a “disaster checklist” of supplies we will need if hurricanes occur. These include:
- Canned goods/power bars
- A gallon of bottled water (per person)
- First aid kit
- Can opener (non-electric)
- Battery powered radio
- Spare batteries
- Formula milk/infant items (for babies)
- Prescribed medication (asthma, headache, hypertension, etc)
- Cellphones that are fully charged
- Important documents in a waterproof container
Aside from this, did you know that problems with your home plumbing system can make matters worse? Residents often encounter a flooded basement, sewer back ups and sump pump failure. This is why it is vital to carefully maintain your drains and your pipes.
- Sump pump failure can cause flooding and electric shock during hurricanes
- Debris, tree roots and other objects can get stuck in your sewer causing it get backed up
- Regular cleaning of your sewer system and drains can prevent this from happening.
- Inspect your downspouts to be certain that they are fastened well and that the debris will be draining properly.
- Conduct a regular sump pump basement maintenance with your plumber to check if it is working accordingly and that it does not have any blocks or clogs.
- Check all floor drains and ensure they are no objects stuck.
- Determine where your main water valve is located. It is vital to shut this off during a storm in order to prevent water that has been contaminated from entering the house.
Always check online for tips on how to be prepared for hurricanes. Websites likeHurricaneReady.org showcases a line of recommended contractors in Miami for plumbing, roofing, electrical systems and construction. The Sun Sentinel recently published an article about their site, and we are proud to say that Douglas Orr Plumbing has been their plumbing company of choice in Miami, Florida.